Chitty Chitty Bang Bange pays Glasgow a visit to help raise money for Strathcarron Hospice.
This car is the final road version used in the “truly scrumptious” 1968 film, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. From Ian Fleming’s story, the Chitty car was brought to life by Ken Adam – famous for his production designs for James Bond films and cartoonist/sculptor Frederick Rowland Emett.
As racing car number 3, Chitty is seen at the start of the film at the 1908 German Grand Prix during which it crashes.
The car was reconstructed by W.G,. Grant using original components from the number 3 racing car. Fitted with a Ford 3000 V6 engine and automatic transmission, the car was allocated the genuine British registration number 11 GEN.
Five other car props were built for the film including the hover and flying versions.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car, 1967
Originally built by Alan Mann Racing, Hertfordshire
Restored by W.G. Grant
Lent to Glasgow Museum Of Transport by Gordon Grant until early 2017
Fundraising for Strathcarron Hospice
Visit Chitty Chitty Bang Bang over the month of January 2017 at the Glasgow Museum Of Transport
More images of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in our Flicker Gallery here ▼
Watch the motion picture Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on YouTube ▼